Tuesday, April 18, 2006

At least the parents could make it!

As I was walking to work on campus this morning and passing by these two football players (I know this because they were wearing sweatshirts that said, "SJSU Spartan Football"). I heard one of them say, "At least the parents could make it." (I just realized that you could read this statement in two ways. He sounded like he meant that at the very least the parents should come to this thing, whatever it is.) Without even knowing what he was talking about, I was in total consensus. I mean if your son wants you to come to something, why would you miss that opportunity? So I thought about this a little bit as I finished my walk to work.

Maybe the parents would have travel from far away. Maybe they don't have the time. Maybe it is because they have to work very hard to support their son through college. Maybe it is because they are trying to raise five other kids. Maybe they financially cannot afford the trip. Maybe they don't understand the importance of attending. Maybe the [parents just plain aren't interested.

In the end I decided to look on this as a positive experience where college students were hoping that their parents would be supporting them by attendance. Personally, I hope to attend every one of my children's events. Rather aspirational, I know, but my children will never doubt my interest in their lives.

No comments: