Monday, March 17, 2008

Lost in Circulation

I recently requested a book from the library (Library 2.0 and beyond : innovative technologies and tomorrow's user / edited by Nancy Courtney). Supposedly it was plucked off the 8th floor shelf and then delivered down to the 1st floor. It would have then sat on the requested books shelf with my last name attached to it, waiting for me to pick it up. Well, last week, when I went to collect my precious book, I found a totally different book, not at all the one that I had requested (something about fashion styles). When I took it to the circulation desk and explained the situation, the lovely lady did her best to help me. I don't want to list all the details but it suffices to say, we came up with a plan to "ensure" that I would get my book. (I had seen in the catalog that someone else also had a request for the book, and thus, if I didn't get my fingers on it, the next person in line would and who knows how long that person would have it!) They were supposed to make a special note in the system so that when they found the book, I was supposed to be bumped to the top of the list and then notified to pick it up.
Today I went into the system and I saw that that other person got it first!!! It's gone. Thanks for all the non-help. arrrgghhhhh. I didn't want to think so badly about the library but I had a bad feeling that I was not going to be getting that book first. This is why smaller libraries can be better. With a huge staff and oodles of materials, one request for one patron just gets lost in circulation. Oh well. At least, it's due back on April 4th. This means that it must have been requested through Link+ or a public patron. Anyway, that is not too far away. So that is a moment of venting. Another helpful bit is that I do my research well before the paper is due (May 7).

1 comment:

ehouse said...

bummer! I would have been a lot less diplomatic than you!! heheheee....