Monday, October 29, 2007

Two Pieces

1) Another spider story: The other night when I was getting ready for bed, I had another spider adventure. (I should mention that I don't usually wear my glasses when I doing my bedtime prep routine.) So while I was brushing my teeth, I noticed in the mirror something black on my chest, right above the top of my tank. I looked away because I was sort of distracted by the teeth brushing process, then just as I was thinking, I ought to look closer to see what it was, I felt it move up my chest (it was on my skin). I looked down and it was a spider. Creeped out but with no screaming, I swiped it off my chest into the sink. Then I ran into another problem because I still didn't want to kill it (I know, I know, I'm crazy). So I had my mouth filled with foamy toothpaste and a spider stuck in the sink where I wanted to spit (the sides of the inside part of the sink were too steep and wet for him to crawl out). At this point, I realized the spider was going to need a little help if I wanted him out of my way. I tried to use my hand to guide him out but he kept slipping around it. Then I tore off a square of toilet paper and used that to guide him up and out. Phew! Finally, washed my mouth out and toothbrush off. Don't know where the spider went but he's gone now. I really have no idea how he got on my chest, except that maybe he was on my PJs when I put them on.

2) I have been reading through Galatians recently to remind myself of the freedom there is in Christ. I've been feeling sort of bound and suffocating for reasons that I would rather not go into here. I knew it was a not spiritually healthy way to be living like this and certainly wasn't something that I should ignore. Here is a paraphrasing of Galatians 5:13 that really hit home to me what I love about being one of Christ's disciples: You were called to be free; use your freedom to serve one another in love. This is what I most want to do, seriously. But of course, I face a battle within myself against my selfish pursuits (those which benefit No one, including myself). When, instead of focusing on my selfish pursuits, I focus on serving others in the love and power of Christ (for without Him, I have no strength), my breaths become deep, long, and peaceful, and I am so joyful. Today I will be visiting an elderly woman who lives by herself in a senior community center. Love INC was contacted by a social worker saying that she was extremely lonely and would be blessed by having a friendly visitor. I am so honored to have this opportunity and I pray that God would give me words of comfort and friendship to envelope her in love and care. (I have to say a word of Thanks to my dear friend, Megan, who has been such a prayer warrior for me, sending cards and letters with words of encouragement and scripture.)


Galatians 5:13 For you were called to freedom, brothers and sisters;21 only do not use your freedom as an opportunity to indulge your flesh,22 but through love serve one another.23 5:14 For the whole law can be summed up in a single commandment,24 namely, “You must love your neighbor as yourself.”25

No comments: