Monday, September 03, 2007

My Saturday Morning Hike

My new activity and way to spend some restful time with God is to go on a hike on Saturday mornings. For two weeks in a row, I have enjoyed exploring Calero County park. It is a rather dry park as you can see. My shoes get covered in dry dirt but I wear my camelback so I am supplied with plenty of water to keep me from dehydration.


Here is a picture of a part of the Los Cerritos trail, I believe. Horses also travel on these trails, so you have to keep your eyes on the ground if you care about the bottom of your shoes. I like this picture because of the flowers in the front. I don't recollect that these were blooming when I came the Saturday before.



























The golden hills filled with old oak trees. This particular part of California has such a distinct smell. Unfortunately, I don't really have the gift of written description so I can't really do it justice. I would say it is a baked wheat sort of smell. The oaks seem to add a more poignant smell, just a little bit of bitterness. Of course, there is a dry dirt smell mixed in as well. But I love it all.


















I started out with a visor on but then decided I just couldn't see as well with it on. I don't just go on the hike for the exercise of it (though those steep uphill parts of the hike certainly are a workout), I want to really enjoy my surroundings and the beauty of nature. I like to stop on the way and just breathe it all in. Lovely, lovely.

No comments: