Wednesday, February 08, 2006

SJSU Leadership Today 2006 Retreat: Creating Community in a Diverse World

Here is something that will be sort of published in Campus Crusade for Christ Metro Team Newsletter. Maybe I will add more to it later but for now here is a quick blurb about LT 06.

So many words run threw my mind as I try to quickly give you a sense of why this retreat was so amazing. Genuine. Tears. Sobs. Compassion. Intense. Love. Laughter. Shock. Smiles. Transformation. Hope.

The fours days in Asilimar led us 37 SJSU students through various exercises, activities, and discussions that really brought into the light all the issues that relate to prejudice, privilege, racial/ethnic/cultural identities, segregation, gender, disabilities (including those not seen), and sexual orientation.

We often talk about the difference between knowing about God and experiencing God. For me, this retreat was similar in that though I have known about the challenges people face in this world, this was the first time I had an overwhelming sense of them. Through LT, I have been reminded that we are surrounded by people who are hurting and who need God’s unconditional love. It is time to step up and be the one to demonstrate it.

No comments: