Friday, January 25, 2008

Jane Austen - love 'em all

So I admit it, I love Jane Austen novels. And, frequently, the film versions. I own at least one film version of all the novels except Northanger Abbey. However, PBS just showed the most recent BBC version. It was excellent! I thought they really captivated not only the essence of the book but also the characters. The first time I read this novel I was 20 years old and studying abroad in London. I remember that I laughed so much because the main character, Catherine Moreland, is so silly and naive. Oddly, when I watched a 1980s version of Northanger Abbey (it was horrible), I realized that somehow I missed the tone of Henry Tilney. He's quite a sarcastic character who takes much delight in teasing Catherine. Or perhaps, I had just forgotten. Anyway, for any Jane Austen fans out there, I definitely can recommend this version of Northanger Abbey.

Well, tonight I'm off to go see 27 Dresses at 9:35pm. And tomorrow I work in SJSU Special Collections, 1-5pm. Yippee!

No comments: