Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Democrats and "Faith"

I read an transcript from a Presidential Forum on Faith that included the upcoming 3 Democratic candidates (Edwards, Obama and Clinton). It was enlightenling and darkening at the same time. I had no idea what their relationships with God were like. Now I at least have an inkling. However, it wasn't really possible to compare the candidates because they were each given different questions. I would have been curious to see how they answered some of the same questions (I think poverty might have been addressed by all three candidates in some way - I favored Osama's answer because he tied the issue to education, which I think is key. Educated people tend to be more thoughtful and careful in their actions because they have a broader understanding of the world around them. Nonetheless -You know, I am going to say a little more in this parathetical moment because I can- when people talk about poverty and homeless, I don't know if they realize that there are some people -many of those I meet regularly in the homeless shelter- that are not mentally capable of getting themselves out of being homeless or keeping a job. For whatever reason -perhaps through their own fault but I don't think that should matter- they are regular residents of the homeless shelter and seem to be incapable of keeping a job. How do we help these people? I'm not even sure). Anyway, I am glad to have read the transcript since I am not a Republican or Democrat but I would like to have an understanding of both sides' perspectives. I agree with each in some ways and vehemently disgree in others. Thus, it can feel like when I vote that it is a lose-lose situation because I am never truly represented by my vote.

November 2008 is still some time away. Good to be up on the news but not necessary to have a decision made yet. (Okay, since this isn't the most elegant or thought-out posting, I suppose my opinions could change tomorrow but so it goes...)

No comments: